Monday 1 November 2010

Filming Diary!

Unfortunately, my filming schedule was not stuck to precisely. There was a lot of changing of dates due to either bad weather or double booking. This therefore meant that I was a little behind on my filming by the time everything got done. But I have now started and am getting on quite successfully.

Paul's shoot
A few days behind schedule, but Paul finally came down to Nottingham to get his filming done. I knew that I would only need one shoot for Paul's part of the music video as he does not play a massive part in the story and I would rather concentrate on Alex and how she feels within the video rather than how Paul is. After setting up all the equipment and getting Paul in the right place, I realised that the wall he was sitting in front of in my lounge wasn't going to work. This therefore meant that we would have to swap him to a different wall to allow me to get further long-shots and move the camera around slightly more within his scenes. I also decided that having the white sheet behind him was not going to work either. This was due to the fact that I did not have anywhere to pin it up, and as the walls were a beige colour anyway, it didn't really matter all that much.
I did a variety of shots, as said before, to ensure that I had a range to edit in and out from Alex's scenes. This also allows me to have slightly more footage than I originally planned to make me more comfortable when it comes to editing as I have a lot to choose from. There are also a few pieces of film that I didn't necessarily plan out just to add to the storyline a bit more.
I am pleased with the lighting on Paul's shoot and he has also added to the song slightly. He has added more instruments and a slightly longer introduction as well as layered vocals.
I think I probably should have planned out the filming slightly better and also been completely ready and set up before he got to the shoot as I was slightly mixed up and wasted a bit of time. Yet, in the end I am pleased with the shots I got and am hoping that they go nicely with Alex's scenes too.

Alex and Sam's first shoot.
The first shoot held with Sam and Alex went quite well. Even though sometimes the actors went off track, we got on with it. The first few scenes went great and then a few scenes were changed, i.e. the kitchen scene where the couple sit together, looking glum. This was changed to the living room as Sam thought it would be a better idea to get it in there as it is more of a normal place for a couple to be spending their time. The day was also a bit glum and towards the end I was realising that I was taping over some of the filming that I had already done. This meant we had to go back a second time and do about 3 scenes again. This took up a lot of time and was not great for the day. We got the last shots and finished the day, but I realised after everyone had left, I'd taped over some of the filming again. This meant the filming I had done was blurry and jumpy. This is very irritating as I now need to go back and do it again. I also did not do a few of the last scenes as they were outside and it was raining quite heavily. All in all, the shoot wasn't great, but I got about 70% of the filming done, which puts me in good stead.

Alex and Sam's second filming
The second day of shooting for Sam and Alex's part of the music video went much smoother. We got most of the filming done in around an hour and a half as I knew exactly what I wanted now and knew how it had to be done and where it was going to happen. We got all of the shots finished that had been ruined in the previous day of filming and got everything done, plus a few more shots that I had forgotten or hadn't done previously. There are a few continuity errors in my first draft as we changed locations and some of the shots that hadn't been ruined were not filmed again. But in the final draft I will make sure that these shots are different and the continuity has no errors.

Alex and Sam's third filming
The final filming with Sam and Alex has been done. This was only needed due to the continuity errors in the first draft. These errors could definitely not have stayed and therefore needed to be shot again. Most of the filming was done correctly and I got a few more bits done, as well as the car reversing out of the drive again as I wasn't overly happy with the first take.
Yet, unfortunately, part of the shoot was filmed over again. I hadn't realised this until after the shoot and until it was too late. I now have to make the decision as to whether or not I will include this shot in the video or not, it is not necessarily a massive part of the film yet could be quite helpful to understand the video more.

Sam's filming

Due to unfortunate events, Paul is not able to star in the music video any longer. This is a real shame and has caused quite a lot of stress and a slight rise in production time, yet I asked Sam to step in for me as the artist and he was more than willing to help.
Seeing as the audience had said that the video did not have enough variety of shots when the artist was on the screen, I made sure when I started filming with Sam that I had a lot of different shots, high angle and low angle as well as close ups, mid shots and long shots.
I also asked Sam to mime the words a lot more than Paul did as in parts the words are hard to understand, yet if the lip syncing is done to a good standard, the lyrics might not be as confusing.
I also swapped rooms for the artist's filming. This was due to the background in the room, I was not happy with the first background as it had a lining of wallpaper through the middle, rather than being completely plain as I had first planned. The room I used on the final draft is completely blank and white.



No comments:

Post a Comment